Thursday, August 13, 2026

Sin Offering “Guilty”




    When I saw that Sin Offering had just put out a new release, I immediately turned all my attention to listening to the new material. I mean, a hatchet wielding maniac could be running down my street chasing a group teens, or a massive alien invasion could be happening outside my window, and I would completely ignore both of those scenarios just so I could listen to Sin Offering’s new EP titled, “Guilty.” 


    Before this EP the band had released a fantastic demo in 2023 called “Charnel House,” which I still consider to be one of the best death rock/post-punk releases to have come out within the past few years. There are a lot of bands playing this style of music, but in my opinion few really have the depth as songwriters whereas with Sin Offering the songs they compose really capture your attention from start to finish. Plus, the band has one extremely unique and distinct sound which mixes haunting beauty with gritty raw distortion. I would say that “Guilty” is definitely the next step in the band’s evolution, however, they even did more in terms of execution and the musical talent that they displayed on each of the new songs. 


    The opening track, “Like a Dog,” begins just as one would expect given this band’s dark gothic horror sounding aesthetic with ghastly organ music. Right after the organ fades, the guitarist unleashes a wicked riff containing a fistful of distorted fury to then make way for the other band members to start adding their contributions. I can say that there are elements very similar to that of early Christian Death, although I would argue that Sin Offering really breaks out of the simple Christian Death worship mold by coming up with a variety of unique touches that one can hear if they pay close attention. Personally, the band's singer has one of the best voices for this type of music, because her tone which is haunting yet so sonically stunning, is the perfect contrast to the coffin crushing guitar riffs and gloomy post-punk/death rock rhythms. 


    Also, throughout the album the guitarist comes up with some very striking riffs like on the song “Without Sanctuary,” where between the palm muted main riff you hear these utterly vivid harmonic squeals. The bassist and drummer lay down a strong backbone and I would say the tightness of the band’s rhythm section really allows for the guitarist to have this sort of wild freedom to explore and add these distinct sound guitar parts.  Actually, the bass player started off the third song on the album, “Ingenue,” with an extremely brilliant sounding bass riff that reminded me of classic post-punk style bass parts that grab your attention right away. Throughout the release I noticed these slight touches that stood out more compared to the band’s debut demo, and I could definitely hear how the band has raised the bar from when they first started. 


    The final two songs on the release, “Perfect Hem” and “In the Sepulchre,” are tremendously well written and well recorded songs. On “Perfect Hem,” I started to really notice how the drummer provides such a solid foundation for the other instruments. The guitars definitely standout, but there are times where I feel the drum parts provide a critical pulse for how the songs sort of develop to where the simple primitive beats get stuck in your head. Out of the five tracks, the last one “In the Sepulchre,” is in my opinion the best song off of the release. The song starts out with a sample of the main theme from John Carpenter’s “Assault of Precinct 13,” but Sin Offering puts their spin on the composition with a more gothic vibe. After the intro part the band comes up with a catchy main verse section, but when the chorus sections comes around that is where I think the band really conjures up something special. That chorus section is truly mesmerizing, especially how the singer’s voice presents the lyrics and creates this emotional rush. If you were to ask me, “In the Sepulchre,” is one of the best songs to come out in 2026, and each band member is deserving of credit for their contributions. 


    In the end, if you do not listen to this new release from Sin Offering then you are guilty of depriving yourself from hearing a tremendously talented band who has really taken the next step in terms of their songwriting talents as well as how they sounded in this recording. On the demo I could hear the elements that made them stand out and I very much enjoy those songs, but what they were able to accomplish on, “Guilty,” is definitely stepping into a whole different realm. I’m telling you right now, if they keep this up, by the time they record a new album I will literally fight an army of the undead just to hear it. Now that is when you know an artist is worth checking out! 



Check out the full release from No Deal's Youtube Channel (Great channel with tons of killer releases) :






Buy the album from Beach Impediment Records records: 

https://beachimpedimentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/guilty




No comments:

Post a Comment