Monday, July 20, 2015

Adversarial "Death, Endless Nothing and the Black Knife of Nihilism"


    Enter...the brutal and desolate sounding world of Adversarial! This Canadian extreme outfit pulls listeners into a hellish land full of unforgiving death metal.
    Their full-length album, “Death, Endless Nothing and the Black Knife of Nihilism,” is a never ending abyss of venomous noise. After being described as nihilistic cult death metal in their bio, I am worried that if I write a not so favorable review the band might put a curse on me. There are some moments on this album where I feel like I am listening to the unholy apocalypse. Hold on one minute, the entire album is a chaotic sound of mass destruction and might as well be used to score a doomed vision of how our world is to end.
    Although the dark extreme atmosphere is interesting, I will admit that I have reviewed bands who have written music in a similar manner. These days pessimistic sounding songs are quite popular amongst the death metal and black metal bands. I will say that Adversarial is a talent group of musicians who know how to play their instruments. The way that they compose their music is impressive and the band maintains an intense drive throughout the album. 
    I think this band’s vicious relentless musical attitude really caught my attention. These guys write some wicked pieces of music. Once the song “Dissenting the Walking Shell” began I was drawn to the destructive death metal approach. The amount of complex beats that this drummer hammers out is amazing. Adversarial's drum arrangements definitely strengthened the album's overall sound.
    Tracks like, “Eonik Spiritual Warfare,” and “Cursed Blades Cast Upon the Slavescum of Christ,” come across as bold lyrical and musical statements. Then again, with so much blistering extreme noise I can barely make out any of the words that the vocalist has to offer. Adversarial really clutters up the musical landscape with massive amounts of distortion and haunting arrangements. “Old Ruins Slumber in a Crushing Hatred of Man,” is one of my favorite tracks off the album because I preferred the layering of the instruments on this song compared to most of the others. Also, there were some tempo alterations that created brief moments of bone chilling doom.
    After the drummer ceased to annihilate his kit and the instrumental chaos faded away, I took a moments to reflect upon the extreme release I had just heard. If you enjoy this style of music or not, one must give credit to Adversarial for never stopping the harsh death metal onslaught. I think this album is definitely going to fall into my category of albums to listen to when I am in a certain mood. Those who desire a more intense and apocalyptic themed style of death metal shall be highly taken by this album. Lastly, if you are part of the nihilistic death metal cult, do not put a curse on me...save your curses for mainstream pop artists and annoying rap musicians.
Band's Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/AdversarialOfficial?fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment