Friday, May 29, 2015

Track Review: “Prometheus” by Luca Turilli’s Rhapsody



    Luca Turilli offers another new cinematic power metal track that will be featured on his upcoming release, “Prometheus: Symphonia Ignis Divinus.” The album is out June 30th in North America and will be released a couple days earlier in Europe.
    This album is supposed to be a blockbuster. There is talk of a fancy orchestra and choral singers to add that epic feel to the album. To sum it up in DJ Rob “the metal guy” terms, this album is going to be like Rhapsody of Fire on steroids! I am a huge fan of the Rhapsody of Fire, especially the Emerald Sword Saga.
Now, this new track by Luca Turilli’s Rhapsody is called, “Prometheus,” and seems to give listeners more incite into the album’s lyrical content. So, I guess Luca Turilli is distancing himself from Lord of the Rings type fantasy and entering the world of Ridley Scott science fiction.
    I don’t mind the lyrical shift and welcome the idea of a more science fiction based story. However, I do not understand why Luca Turilli has diminished his amazing guitar shredding abilities. I felt like the orchestra was overwhelming and the heavy metal foundation of bass, drums and guitar was being drowned out. The singer featured on the track did a decent job and has that strong high pitched vocal range that suits the symphonic power metal sound well. Still, I just was not digging the bombastic sounding orchestra. Luca Turilli used to use his brilliant soloing abilities to offer excitement, and now has the volume turned down so I can here the violins.
    Maybe I am being too critical since I tend to be extremely picky with my power metal. Thrash metal I am less picky (don’t know why)...In the end I would have to say that this track was better than the previous single called, “Rosenkreuz (The Rose And The Cross).” I shall wait until the entire album comes out and make a final opinion. I really hope Luca Turilli rips through more scales and shows off his signature guitar style. Needs to stop trying to be Beethoven and start shredding!

Click on this link to hear the song!

No comments:

Post a Comment