Saturday, July 11, 2015

Rob "the metal guy" Rants About Metal #9

    For those who do not know Kanye West thinks he is a rockstar even though he is an enormous douche star. Corey Taylor from Slipknot already set him straight, so I guess there is not much more for me to say. Actually, I plan to nominate Kanye West for biggest douche in the universe. He will win for sure.
    Okay, okay, let me get onto topics in the hard rock and metal world. Well, I finally got around to watching the entire new music video put out by ex-WASP guitarist Chris Holmes. The song for the video, “Born Work Die,” is from his new solo album called, “Shitting Bricks.” I used to somewhat respect Chris for his work in WASP. Unfortunately, the dude’s music videos are beyond horrendous. I find myself laughing uncontrollably at how bizarre the concepts are at times, along with the fact that he looks like Captain Caveman. This new video shows Chris working in a motorcycle repair shop and looking extremely washed up. Sometimes I wonder if the man’s brain left his body once the eighties finished. In all fairness the guitar playing in the song isn’t dreadful. He still has a solid sounding tone and throws in some cool blues licks. After hearing the song and watching the video I think that Chris is qualified to play in the Mentors if they need another guitar player or singer. The lyrics that Chris comes up with are about as entertaining as the stuff El Duce used to write...
    Technical death metal icons Nile this past week released the track list for their new album that comes out in August. The album, “What Should Not Be Unearthed,” is out the 28th for anyone who wants to mark that date down on their calendars. I have always enjoyed reading Nile’s song titles. I know some fans weren’t pleased with how the last album sounded, but I thought the song titles were exceptional. Songs like “Enduring the Eternal Molestation of Flame,” and “Natural Liberation of Fear Through the Ritual of Deception of Death,” were loads of fun to say on air when I was doing my radio show. I really can’t wait to hear the new music as Nile is definitely one of the most creative and talented death metal bands around.
    Last night I went to a local metal show with four solid bands from the Sonoma County Area. There is not a massive scene up here in Northern California, but the fans are unbelievably passionate about the music. You have people headbanging like crazy the whole night and the mosh pit is one constant toxic waltz. This leads me to advocate for more metal fans supporting their local scenes. With well known hard rock and metal bands becoming more expensive, sometimes the small club shows are a better option. Also, you are supporting up and coming metal acts who have that raw and exciting passion to play music like the bands they idolize. Another point to make is that you never know if one of those bands from a local metal show might go on to become the next Metallica. Before Metallica was playing major arenas across the globe they were playing small shows in people’s backyards and at clubs. So, if you find out there is a local metal show going on the area you live, try to make your way out and support the scene. Heavy metal will never die because of the passion that comes from the fans who are simply fanatical about the music. Keep headbanging people...Keep Headbanging! \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment