Friday, June 12, 2015

Rob "the metal guy" Rants About Metal #5



    Before I begin this rant I want to take a moment to reflect on the life of Christopher Lee. He was a brilliant actor who appeared in many great films, with my favorites being his horror films. Also, the guy did work with power/symphonic metal bands such as Rhapsody of Fire and Manowar. Mr. Lee even released his own symphonic metal albums. All around he was a great performer and one of the most metal people to walk on this earth. Rest in peace Christopher Lee and may your spirit live on through your amazing works.
    Alright moving onto topics in the metal world, I guess I will start with Electric Wizard. Their most recent album, “Time to Die,” is being pulled from store shelves and reportedly fans can’t download it off iTunes. Now, there is a reason behind the recent recall. Allegations from drummer Mark Greening have surfaced saying that Jus Oborn and Liz Buckingham did not pay him yet for the work he did on the album. Mark is currently not with the band and has a lawsuit against his former members. The label that put the album out is Spinefarm Records and they have pulled the album due to the pending lawsuit. Now, what do I make of this? I am not shocked that Electric Wizard is being accused of not paying members. They are big time stoners! I would not be surprised if Jus and Liz smoked Mark’s pay check by accident. I personally thought the album was decent and actually added the album to my radio station’s rotation. Hell, there is a review of the album on this blog of the album. I am sure most fans by now have bought the album, but then again, they might be extremely stoned like the band. Well, for the time being anyone looking to scalp and charge double for what you paid for, “Time to Die,” ...you better cash in now!
    Actually, don’t do that because I hate people that charge ridiculous prices for albums that are hard to find. Also, I blame the labels for not repressing a consistent amount of albums when there is a decent demand for the album. I guess in their defense the case can be made that not too many people buy albums anymore. Recently I read a quote from Deep Purple frontman Ian Gillian that said, “Buy real records in real shops, or I’ll come round your house and scream at your mother.” If that does not get people to go out and buy more albums I don’t know what else will. Maybe have Lars from Metallica come to your house and complain about how Jason left the band, or just have him start talking about how great his life is since he hangs around movie stars.
    That it is for this week. I could make fun of the most recent hair metal hack tour package consisting of Quiet Riot, Jack Russell’s Great White, LA Guns and Enuff Z’nuff. However, I think looking at the list of old washed up rockers is enough to make most people laugh. Hope no one blows out a hip!

No comments:

Post a Comment